Almost a week since the soft opening of Doha Metro Red Line Rail (Wakra to Lusail en route various stations), I decided to take a ride and have a first-hand experience of this well-received transport. As local newspaper highlighted, 08 May 2019 is a major turning point of Qatar’s ambitious journey to transport development.
Here’s a quick guide 😄
- Check your journey against the above map (ctto).
- Go to the nearest station.
- Ask nearby attendants for Metro Office so you can purchase card (you don’t want to mess with self-service machine 😅, not yet). They’re friendly and are more than happy to assist. Cards come with three types:
- Standard Travel Card (STC) which is a reusable plastic travel card that costs QR 10.
- A non-reusable, paper travel card that contains either a single journey or day pass, Limited Use Travel Card (LUTC) (single journey/day pass).
- Gold Travel Card (GTC) is a reusable plastic card that costs QR 100.
- Head to train station. Feel free to approach any attendant you can find (they’re everywhere) for direction, or when in doubt.
I usually go by Bus #76 (CityCenter to Bus Station) then transfer to Bus#55 bound to my place. I excitedly hailed the approaching Bus#55 the moment I stepped out of the Metro Station thinking that it will lead me to my place. To my dismay (because I’m an idiot), it headed straight to Bus Station 🤦♂️ I must be travelling on the wrong side of the road! I did it right the second time though 😎 #thuglife Lesson learned: let go of the past 😜